When it comes to skincare, beauty is often judged in aesthetic terms; its tone, how radiant it is, whether it is even and how smooth it is. We at Hayaty believe that beauty comes down to healthy skin; healthy skin is even, it glows and is smooth.
WHAT SKIN DAMAGE LOOKS LIKE
Outside of visiting a dermatologist and getting a skincare consultation, there are some signs that can help you self-determine how healthy your skin is. Some of the most prominent ones are:
- Dry, Dull & Wrinkled skin: while, dry skin on its own, may come down to genetics, dullness, sudden sagging and creases are early signs of skin damage.
- Rosacea: looks like red flush across the nose, cheeks, blotches and bumps. This is a form of skin damage caused by overexposure to the sun.
- Age spots: often look like large, brown freckles. At first, they appear as light brown and then darken over time.
- Sunburns & Dark Tan: Mild sunburn can leave cause your skin to peel, turn red and even blister. They may last for a short period of time but can cause long-term damage to your skin.
- Actinic Skin Damage: looks like skin turning scaly with raised bumps and rough patches.
GETTING TO THE ROOT OF IT
Skin damage occurs when the top layer of the skin, known as the epidermis is compromised, usually as a result of environmental factors. So how does our skin get damaged?
HOW SKIN GETS DAMAGED
Our skin is the largest organ in the human body and several factors can affect it in a negative way. Here are some main causes of skin damage which can be prevented with quick action.
Excessive Sun Exposure: Too much exposure to the sun allows harmful ultraviolet rays to make a damaging impact on our skin. These UV rays reduce skin elasticity and break down the collagen, causing premature wrinkles and fine lines. Sun exposure is also the primary cause of skin cancer.
Unhealthy Diet: The food we consume directly reflects on our skin. A healthy diet will produce healthy, vibrant skin and conversely, an unhealthy diet will affect the skin negatively. Eating plenty of micronutrients (fibre rich vegetables and fruits) can help fight free radicals and prevent skin damage. Sugar and fat (saturated and trans) will accelerate the premature ageing of the skin.
- Chronic Stress: Prolonged episodes of stress can have a damaging effect on the skin. Chronic stress can trigger the lines of ageing and lead to wrinkles and age spots.
Lack of Sleep: Sleep is the biggest stress buster due to its ability to regulate cortisol (stress hormone) levels in our body. A good 8 hours sleep cycle at night and a few minutes for a power nap during the day help in keeping us refreshed and brings a calming effect to our skin.
Pollution & the Unhealthy Environment: Sitting in an air-conditioned room throughout the day or walking down the street surrounded by smoke and smog are both considered issues when it comes to skin damage. Air-conditioned rooms can severely dry our skin and pollution outside can clog the pores.
Chemical Irritants: From deodorants to washing powder to soaps, the skin comes in contact with harsh chemicals every day which can react negatively to our skin health. Try to reduce the number chemical products you use and opt for less abrasive or natural options.
REPAIRING DAMAGE FROM THE INSIDE OUT
- Simplify your skincare routine : Select quality products, not quantity, and avoid using harsh and chemical ingredients. Substitute them with natural and organic high-performance botanicals, giving better and healthier results for your skin and the environment.
- Nighttime skincare routine : formulated to optimize the skin's natural night recovery process.
- Sunscreen: An optimal sunscreen with an SPF value of 30 is the key to saving your skin from harsh environmental aggressors
- Hydration: Drinking plenty of water or sugar-free liquids throughout the day will improve circulation and maintain our body’s equilibrium. Aim for at least 3 litres of water daily as it also acts as a detoxifying agent.
- Adequate Sleep: Proper sleep patterns will improve the quality of your skin and prevent further skin damage. Try to sleep for at least 7-8 hours every night to avoid skin damage.
- Diet: Eat omega-3-rich food (walnut, flaxseed and fish) along with Vitamin C rich fruits and vegetables (lemon, tomatoes, and papaya).
If you have any signs of damaged skin. It is never too late to start a skincare routine.
HAYATY’S PHARONIC DUO YOUR NIGHTTIME TREATMENT!
The Pharonic Duo comprises the Egyptian Recovery Face Cream and Blessed night oil. The Pharaonic Duo offers a synergistic holistic approach to the skin's natural circadian rhythm. It works alongside the skin's regeneration process overnight, optimizing the natural recovery process from external environmental aggressors, including Blue Light, while soothing skin irritation, boosting cell turnover, and balancing the skin's natural sebum production, helping with acne.
It promotes skin elasticity and firmness and revives the skin's natural glow.